Monday, September 22, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie 11: Dimply Plum Cake... Sans Plums!



One of these days I think I'll have to stop writing the number of week's I've been participating in Tuesdays with Dorie... it'll get too long! I think I worked out that by the time I get to choose a recipe, it will be 3 years from now! I thought I joined far too late to even get to choose a recipe, so that's pretty exciting.

This week's recipe was chosen by Michelle of Bake-en. I wasn't particularly looking forward to this recipe I must admit. I had seen it in the book a few times whilst flicking through, and the thought of plums in a cake perplexed me. I'm not a big fan of fruits in cakes as it is, but a plum!? That's crazy talk. Anyway, as it were, there are not plums available in Australia at the moment. No stone fruits at all. So, I decided to go with blueberries- how adventurous! Everything tastes better with blueberries! In hindsight, I should have chosen a much juicier fruit, or added a whole lot more blueberries (I only studded the tops with them). I hadn't taken notice of Dorie's note, likening this cake to cornbread. The cake was so dry! I didn't even over bake it... Dry! Even so, the flavour of the cake was nice. Instead of cardamom and orange zest, I used cinnamon and lemon zest. I will definitely attempt this cake again once the Summer fruits hit our stores.

One last thing- S wants the world to know (or whoever reads my little blog...) that he is the mastermind (modest I know) behind all of the photo's on my blog. He's even threatening me with watermarking them! Thanks S!


No comments:

Post a Comment