Friday, March 10, 2006

Spring break could not have gotten off to a better tasting start. Groggy and starving after arriving in JFK, my mood immediately brightened after stepping outside into the cool NYC air. I had plans to meet Robyn at 7pm at Blue Ribbon Bakery to feast on beef marrow and a duo of banana walnut and chocolate chip bread pudding but after the flight arrived an hour late and we were told that there was an hour wait, we strolled down to the nearby Pearl Oyster Bar.

Mmmm. Our stomachs and tastebuds were ready for their highly acclaimed lobster rolls. It was a 10 minute wait for a two seats at the bar. A dimly lit, crowded restaurant, the energetic vibe from both the kitchen and couples and friends in the dining area just felt really good. This was the first time I met Robyn after exchanging numerous emails and phone calls. Oddly enough, I felt like I had known her for a long time. No awkward moments, just lots of talk about food, food and more food!

The lobster roll was served in a basic hot dog bun with shoestring fries and malt vinegar on the side. Oh god. So enjoyable to pick up the bun with both hands and bite into like any normal hot dog. Only this wasn't a hot dog, not even close. It was chunks of sweet juicy lobster lighted tossed with mayo, a hint of pepper and perhaps even a bit of garlic... The bun with heavily buttered in the most wonderful way and grilled crispy, holding it's integrity under the abundant mound of lobster salad. Light on the mayo and generous with the lobster, I finished the entire roll with gusto. While satisfying, the shoestring fries were not the best I've had (that would be at Kua Aina back home!) They were a bit of the tired and limp side but presented in a attractive mountain on the plate. Barely salted, a light drizzle of malt vinegar gave it a welcome perk.
I probably wouldn't pay $25 for lobster rolls too often, but it was worth the experience. And what's dinner without dessert? Robyn and I had a few places in mind like Room for Dessert and Sugar Sweet Sunshine, but no one would have remotely guess that we'd end up at...

Pearl Oyster Bar
18 Cornelia Street
NY, NY 10014
(212) 691-8211

No comments:

Post a Comment