Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nokia�s Top Man: �The Fightback Starts Now�

The fightback starts now. That�s the headline of the letter published by Nokia�s Head of Mobile Solutions, Anssi Vanjoki. I�ve interviewed the guy a few times and I really do rate him.

I was flying back from Qualcomm�s Uplinq event last week when the letter was posted to Nokia�s blog (�Conversations�). Since Friday, it�s received 355 tweets, hundreds of comments and it�s been the subject of many posts across the industry.

We�re an impatient lot in the mobile industry and as a result, I�ve read quite a few people saying �what do you mean, it starts now?� wondering where the new hardware and services are to support this statement.

�Now� means that Anssi has begun his new role heading up the Mobile Solutions division, not that we should be seeing new devices, announcements and partnerships *today*.

Anssi�s letter indicates that he�s got the message. The big challenge at Nokia is to set about burning the old guard who refuse to admit there�s a problem with the company�s reputation, recent devices and developer ecosystem.

I�m utterly delighted to see such public discourse on the subject. I think it�s been long overdue. If anything, I�d like to see a regular series of letters from Anssi � perhaps even a video or two � where he can discuss what�s going on in the marketplace and what Nokia is doing to counter.

Nokia�s complete and utter collapse in the smartphone and premium segment is not a serious fiscal problem for the company (they�re still shipping millions of devices each day at a profit) but the reputation damage � and the chain-reaction of dissatisfaction that shoots from the West to the developing nations, is a big issue. Especially when you�ve got Android activating a couple of hundred thousand devices every single day.

I worry that we�ll this dissatisfaction when the N8 arrives. Although it�s a looking like a super-brilliant device, it�s useless in the context of an iPhone or Android. Because the platform�s been shunned by developers. All the cool stuff that the high-end smartphone users have become accustomed to isn�t quite available. I don�t think many natural Nokia smartphone customers will be parted from their Android or iPhone heaven yet. A serious, serious problem.

Anssi has game, though. I think � and I hope � he can get the division fighting fit. When I sit back and think of all the talented people and all the resources the company has, I can�t help but be positive.

Come on Team Anssi!

By the way, definitely DEFINITELY take some time to check out the Anssi Vanjoki videos we shot at Mobile World Congress. It�s important to get the make of the man as best you can � check out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 of the interview. I think you�ll be impressed by the guy.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment