Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pondering

This is very much a �rough-draft� post, probably mostly for myself to return to later.

I ran across this quote recently in a completely different context.
You cannot lead strangers, you can only coerce or bribe them.
I�m not saying that I necessarily completely agree with this quote (part of what I�m pondering), but it has me thinking about the quote in relation to the following.

School Reform/Transformation: How much chance of success does this have when implemented from a Federal or State level? Or sometimes, even from a district level (particularly in larger school districts)? I believe strongly that we need systemic reform, not just pockets-of-excellence reform, yet can that really occur at any kind of scale?

Online Classes: How do you �lead� in a virtual or even hybrid class setting? How realistic is it that you can overcome being �strangers� without that fairly regular face-to-face contact? Is it necessary to lead in a classroom (physical, hybrid, or virtual)?

Personal Learning Networks: I believe strongly in PLN�s, and I�m not abandoning that, but in terms of leading others and effecting change, can you do that successfully? I feel like many folks in my PLN aren�t �strangers,� but they aren�t quite �known� or �friends� either.

Speaking/Consulting: Can someone come in from afar and �lead� in any meaningful way? I have five more of these scheduled between now and the end of June, and I�m not backing out, but I�m seriously considering not accepting any more of them because I�m not sure it�s very effective. If I�m not part of the solution, then I�m part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment