I had forgotten my track pants and naively pulled on shorts instead. I was eaten alive by an army of mosquitoes. It was dark; I had no means of defending myself. *tear*
I get excited about these things; of course, as a child; I often questioned why we gathered at the cemetery once a year, folded paper money and displayed food for our ancestors; which we then consumed in delight after! *grin* It was definitely something I looked forward to at the end of our mornings together.
There is lots about this festival which I remain oblivious about; well until I just recently ran a wiki-search. Apparently it's a just a time for...
"people to go outside and enjoy the greenery of springtime (?? T�qing, "treading on the greenery"), and also to tend to the graves of departed ones.
...
People go on family outings, start the spring plowing, sing, dance, and Qingming is a time where young couples start courting. Another popular thing to do is fly kites (in shapes of animals, or characters from Chinese opera)"
Courting and kite flying?! I must try that next year! *grin*
I love the whole idea of this family oriented festival. ...Well;.... maybe not 'entirely'.
For over 10 years it had been perfect; it was as well last Saturday;... up to the point I realized; Oh... we got to now burn this. ... ......
*looks around at other families creating clouds of smog*
But it did scar my 'green' soul a little to watch good paper go up in ashes. Of course it isn't toxic gas; but it does create excessive carbon dioxide. I'm happy grandpa 'received' a nice yacht from mom this year though! *giggle* Sis thinks we should burn him a beach house next year to make sure he gets to use it; haha funny.
I'm actually amused at my self realization. It isn't till the past couple of years that I've made a significant change in my daily habits and actions in an attempt to contribute to healing our planet. My personal standards of what's acceptable has definitely been raised. I suppose it happened naturally as I matured and took on responsibilities I felt necessary.
Aunt noticed my wrinkled brow and puzzling frown; she wanted to know what I was thinking about,
I simply reassured her everything was fine.
*shrug* I didn't know exactly where to begin; I didn't want to come off as though I opposed of Qingming rituals either.
I decided I'd just have to find other ways to make it up to mother earth today. I'm thinking of planting trees tomorrow; who's with me?! *laughs*
I've got 'cake' all day tomorrow unfortunately; I might just sleep without air conditioning tonight. *shudders at thought*
No comments:
Post a Comment