A BUSINESSMAN who lost his mobile phone on a beach was amazed when it turned up � in the belly of a massive cod.
Andrew Cheatle thought his Nokia handset had been lost at sea after it slipped from his pocket.
But a week later his girlfriend�s mobile rang and it was fisherman Glen Kerley saying he�d found the phone in a 25lb fish.
Andrew got the handset back, dried it out � and amazingly it still works.
Andrew, 45, said: �I was messing about with my dog and my phone must have fallen out and been swept out in the swell.
�I kept calling it but I gave up hope after a couple of days.�
He was shopping for a new phone with girlfriend Rita Smith, 33, when her mobile went off.
She told him: �Your old mobile number is calling my phone.�
Andrew continued: �She said some guy was going on about my phone and a cod so she handed it over to me and he told me where he had found it.
�I thought he was winding me up but he assured me he had caught a cod that morning and was gutting it for his fish stall and that my Nokia was inside it � a bit worse for wear.
�I didn�t believe him but went to meet him and found it was my phone � a bit smelly and battered � but incredibly it still worked after I let it dry out.�
Trawlerman Glen, 45, had tried to use the phone but it didn�t work. So he took out the SIM card and put it in his handset to try to trace the owner.
Glen, of Worthing, West Sussex, said: �Cod are greedy fish � they�ll eat anything. They have big heads and big mouths.
�I�ve found plastic cups, stones, teaspoons, batteries and I�ve also heard of someone finding false teeth in one.
�This fish was about 25lbs and about 4ft long � not unusual but bigger than average.
�I know what it�s like to lose your phone. It can be really frustrating. So I thought I may as well make a few calls to see if I could get it back to him.
�It was a bit smelly but I was glad to return it.�
Andrew � who runs an online retail company � still uses it.
He said: �It was working but it kept playing up so I had to get the circuit board changed in the end. But now it�s fine. I know it sounds a fishy tale but it is 100 per cent true.�
source
No comments:
Post a Comment