Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie 14: Lenox Almond and Sweet Cherry Biscotti



Bischetti? Bruschetta? Biscerti? No one seemed to know what biscotti was. I thought it was a fairly common type of biscuit, but it appears not. I'm sure though, that after tasting this delicious biscuit, everybody would be wanting to get to know biscotti. I admit that I haven't really eaten much biscotti in my life- only the pre packaged type. Like Dorie, I now want to have this stocked up permanantely in my house. I love that it's so easy to make and that it lasts a relatively long time. Most crunchy biscuits go soggy the day after baking, but these stayed crisp until the very last one was eaten (1 week later). So a big thanks to Gretchen of Canela & Comino who chose this weeks recipe.

I ran into trouble with my first batch of biscotti- I didn't cook it long enough in the first bake. When I cut it into 'soldiers', the inside batter was still runny and flowed out, making for a rather stumpy looking biscotti (like the body of a lizard). The first batch was only a half batch but after tasting some of the discarded first batch, I promptly decided to make a full batch next. In addition to the almonds, I added in some dried sweet cherries which turned out so delicious. I spotted various types of dried berries while at the markets the other day and I just had to make something with them. I'll definitely be going back to try out the blueberries and raspberries (not to mention more sweet cherries). Instead of almond extract I added in vanilla- purely because I had no almond on hand. Next time we visit S's sister, we will be taking a batch of macadamia and sweet cherry biscotti for sure- yum!

The addition of the cornmeal made for a very interesting texture. At first I was unsure if I liked it, but by the end, I loved it! I'm really trying not to eat much of my baking as it's no good for the hips, so S happily devoured the majority of the biscotti. A full batch yielded quite a few biscotti (maybe 20 or so) and of that, I only ate one and gave 3 to my mum... I've learnt my lesson now and will only be making very small batches in future because S can't be trusted! He loved these so much that I had to resort to counting them before I left the house to make sure he wasn't eating too many per day!

As usual, I am sure all the Tuesdays with Dorie gang have come up with delicious and interesting variations for biscotti, so check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment