Well, I know that some people have just drooled all over their keyboard just reading the title of this post. Creme brulee = heaven. I am yet to come across someone that doesn't like Creme Brulee. Even my lactose intolerant friend loves them. My mum is a massive fan, but she doesn't get to eat them often. After completing this week's recipe, I think it's safe to say that there is going to be a whole lot more Creme Brulee in my life now. I've never attempted one before- mainly because I don't own a blow torch. When it was announced that Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake had chosen Creme Brulee, I literally shuddered. I had an awful experience a couple of months ago attempting Dorie's 'Caramel topped Flan', so the very thought of another baked custard nearly sent me screaming. I admit, I was a little excited though- afterall, it could possibly turn out amazing... right? YES! Oh how wonderful it was... not a scrambled egg in sight!
Even though I was more than happy with the outcome, I did have some problems. Not having a blow torch, I opted for the 'grill' option. For those of you that are not from Australia, this is the equivalent to a broiler. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the same as the blow torch method. In order to blister them, they were under the grill for quite a while, causing the custard to liquify more than I would have liked. Also, the custard started to split a little from the intense, prolonged heat. I also couldn't get the brulee part as crispy as I would have liked either. I can only imagine how delicious these would be done with a torch.
I would love to experiment with other flavours now I have overcome my fear of baked custards (doesn't mean I'll be attempting that flan again anytime soon though). The only addition I made was to add in half a vanilla bean. The speckles just look so beautiful against the custard. The beans I buy feel and look like soft leather- not dry at all. It's quite amazing and they are full of moist beans- with an incredible scent.
I would love to experiment with other flavours now I have overcome my fear of baked custards (doesn't mean I'll be attempting that flan again anytime soon though). The only addition I made was to add in half a vanilla bean. The speckles just look so beautiful against the custard. The beans I buy feel and look like soft leather- not dry at all. It's quite amazing and they are full of moist beans- with an incredible scent.
Don't forget to check out Mari's blog for the recipe, or to check out the rest of the Tuesdays with Dorie gang.



No comments:
Post a Comment