Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Morning is Good.


Back in Hawaii, and even during college in LA, the morning was always my favourite part of the day. I made sure to sleep at a early, get a restful eight hours (I love my sleep!) and wake up a few hours before my day would actually began, so that I could enjoy breakfast.

Since moving to NYC, my days and nights have gone all topsy-turvy. Not to say that I'm not enjoying it! I don't think I've been happier in my life :) But. Sometimes. I miss the mornings. I miss the mornings because I never get home from work till late. I miss the mornings because I stay out too late on weekends. There are never enough hours in a day.

Last night I made it a point to sleep early, right after I got home from work. I set my alarm an hour earlier than usual. Because I wanted my morning back. So when the alarm went off when the sky was still a bit dark, I got dressed in a big brown sweater, lazy cotton pants and set off in the cool air. Where to?

The Doughnut Plant, of course!

I take for granted just how close I live to this wonder of doughnuts - just a brisk 8 minute walk. I rarely set foot out on Rivington Street this early, when there's barely a soul around, save for the doorman at the Rivington Hotel, and a few individuals waiting at the bus stop. I walk east to Norfolk and make my way down till I hit Grand Street. And right there, where the two streets intersect, I peer though the glass windows, eyeing a rainbow of breakfast possibilities.

I ordered the Tres Leches Cake Doughnut from a very nice man who proclaimed it his favourite doughnut in the shop. Apparently, this doughnut is a favourite of many, see here and here. And yes, the recommendation did not lead me astray as I happily held the warm doughnut in hand, this crazy morning fried concoction infused with a triple threat of evaporated milk, condensed milk and cream. The innards bore a texture that ran the thin line where powdered sugar meets butter cake, at points nearly melting into the lusciously sweet cream. It lasted exactly eight bites - the first two were big bites, and the last six, smaller. I ate the last bit with great pleasure, a tad of the rich cream clinging to my lips and ahhh, yes indeed...the morning is good.

Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St
NY, NY 10002
(212) 505-3700

No comments:

Post a Comment