Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Did You Know? 2.0 - Additional Quotes and Questions

Dean asked if I had a text version of Did You Know? 2.0. I hadn�t ever gotten around to that, so I took a few minutes this weekend and put that together (Word, PDF, also linked from this page on the wiki).

When I did that I remembered that when we posted it I had mentioned that I had originally had a few more questions that I had wanted to include, but it would�ve made the presentation way too long, and that I would blog those eventually. Hmmm, I�m having trouble lately with my �eventually�s� possibly becoming �nevers,� so I suppose I better post those as well.

These are additional quotes and questions that I originally had in the portion of the presentation where the Einstein quote and the �Ask your kids� question is. I originally had the slide about students in China, Australia, etc. collaborating on projects every day slightly earlier in the presentation, and then these quotes and questions clustered together.
�No generation in history has ever been so thoroughly prepared for the industrial age.�
- David Warlick

�We can�t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.�
- Albert Einstein

Ask Your Kids: Are you doing this in school?

Ask Yourself: What can I do to help?

We are moving from
�do your own work� to �work with others.�
�just in case� to �just in time� learning
�hand it in� to �publish it.�
- Will Richardson

Knowledge resides in the network. Students need to know how to find that knowledge, whether it�s on a server in Indiana or in a human brain in India.

Ask Your Teacher: How are you helping my child build their own learning network?

�The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read or write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.�
- Alvin Toffler

�In times of rapid change, the learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.�
Eric Hoffer

Ask your principal: How are you helping my child become literate in the 21st century?

�The computer is the primary instrument for intellectual and creative work in our society.�
- Gary Stager

Ask your school board: Are you providing the resources and training necessary to prepare students to be successful in 21st century society?

�There is one thing worse than not being able to see. Being able to see, but having no vision.�
- Helen Keller

Ask your elected representatives: Now that you know all this, what changes should be made to current education legislation?

Then leave �Ask your elected representatives�, fade the rest out, and fade in with: What�s your vision?
So, I�m posting these in case they�re helpful to somebody, and so that I can cross one of those �eventually�s� off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment