Thursday, May 18, 2006

Yati's style beehoon goreng

This used to be a favourite after-school lunch for my sister and I when we were younger. I used to watch longingly and impatiently as Yati(our Indonesian maid) fried strings of yummy beehoon. When I came to Australia on my own, I tried hard to replicate Yati's beehoon-goreng(goreng means fried in malay) but it just wasn't the same. I guess its the special soysauce my mom gets specifically pre-ordered in Malaysia. I miss Yati since she decided to return home to get married. I hope shes doing well. She was the best at what she did and lots of fun to be around. To show my appreciation for her days spent with our family; I shall name my fried beehoon after her. Hehe.
For those who are unfamiliar with the term beehoon, click here. I am not certain on how beehoon became a Malaysian term for this noodle of Chinese roots, however in proper English, beehoon is known as rice vermicelli. Here is a picture of dried vermicelli from Wikepedia.





2 cakes dried beehoon (soaked in salted water for at least 15 minutes)
2 chunks chicken thigh marinated in soysauce and diced
half a handful of dried prawns (har-mai)
3 stalks shallots diced
2 cloves garlic diced
1 large carrot peeled and diced
2 tbsp light soysauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp kecap manis
1tbsp sambal(optional)
2 tsp dried chili flakes(optional)
2 tsp chicken stock powder diluted in 1 cup water
1 tbsp sesame oil
Heat sesame oil in a wok with the flames on high. Shallow fry chicken, shallots, carrots, prawns and garlic. Add in sauces and reduce heat. When mixture is fragrant and chicken pieces are almost done, place in beehoon and chicken stock mixture. Toss in wok until well combined and sauce is absorbed. Serve with extra chopped shallots or sliced shreds of thin omelete.
This recipe is from what I had ready in the fridge today, feel free to use prawns, mince meat or make it vegetarian if you like. Experiment! *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment