Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Teachers as Leaders

You'll all be happy to know I've read another book. Don't worry, it was shorter, so I'll just post once about it. The focus on the book was on leadership and motivation in the business arena, but I feel that it applies just about as well to teaching. The following were some of the points the authors emphasized - the parts in [red] are my additions.
  1. Leading [teaching] people [students] is the opposite of trying to control them.

  2. Leadership [teaching/learning] is not just what happens when you�re there, it�s what happens when you�re not there.

  3. Profit [achievement] is the applause you get for taking care of your customers [students] and creating a motivating environment for people [colleagues/students].

  4. Leadership [teaching] is not something you do to people [students], it�s something you do with them.

  5. Trust [respect] is what happens when values and behaviors match up.

  6. The key to effective leadership [teaching] is the relationship you build with your team [students/colleagues].

  7. Sharing the big picture puts everyone [teachers/students] on the same page.

  8. People [students] will think for themselves when you quit doing it for them.

  9. Leadership [teaching] is the process of getting everyone [students/colleagues] to the place they are supposed to go.

If you have any thoughts on these, I'd suggest picking one (or two) to comment on.

No comments:

Post a Comment