Monday, December 26, 2005

I have a particular weakness for Vietnamese desserts. Give me anything mochi-like, chewy, a bit sticky with plenty of coconut and mung beans and I lose all willpower to refrain from devouring both your share and mine. This weakness was inherited from my mom which is why she never objects to my proposals of "I think we're hungry, Lien Market?"

Lien Market is right in the middle of all the butcher and seafood shops in Chinatown. Though the sign says they specialize in seafood and grocery, they carry a limited amount of groceries, no seafood, and plenty of Vietnamese desserts. We picked up a few boxes of sliced apple bananas cooked in a sugar syrup and rolled in sesame seeds with a side of coconut milk. Just pour the milk over the bananas and serve at room temperature. Mom got some red and mung bean balls wrapped in sweetened tapioca for breakfast. The beans are boiled and mashed with coconut milk and sugar. It's pretty good plain, but I suppose for aesthetic reasons they're wrapped in sweetened tapioca. I doubt many people would but a box of mashed mung beans. hehe. To balance all the sweet snacks we also got a pack of nam. Think Asian carpaccio. Raw ground beef (or pork) is "cooked" in salt and vinegar and mixed with vermicelli noodles then shaped into little squares and topped with a slice of raw garlic and pepper. It's slightly sour with a spicy bite. Nam is a firm block of meat, with a rubbery texture that can only be appreciated after you realize how simply delicious this stuff is! I like to snack on the nam alone, but dad likes to slice his Saint Germain baguette lengthwise and make a nam sandwich.

So this is my idea of snack time. At $2.50/box for the sweets and $6/10 pieces for the nam, the snacks at Lien are well priced (as are most things in Chinatown). The owners are super friendly people and if you come on a good day they'll have a hot pot of oh-so-soft and fresh dofu fa sitting on the counter. A large cup with a spoonful of some addicting ginger syrup is just a dollar.

Lien Market 145 N. King St. Honolulu, HI 96817 (808) 536-3381

No comments:

Post a Comment