Afternoon snack! The wonderful thing about the Rosemead and Alhambra area is that you can find an abundance banh mi's shops on every street. I usually go to Lee's Sandwiches or one of the smaller mom & pop banh mi shops but when I'm craving a durian or avocado smoothie, it's Mr. Baguette for me. It looks like a chain restaurant but is just owned by one man (though I've heard he has plans for another location). The place is designed to resemble a French cafe with tall black antique lamps and wicker tables and chairs. The French "vibe" doesn't really come through with all the traffic right outside.
In addition to banh mi's, Mr. Baguette also sells many Vietnamese desserts such as Sam Bo Lung as well as Vietnamese takes on traditional French pastries like brioches, croissants and pate chaud's. They also carry pate by the pound. I've developed a bad addiction to pate, buying it by the pound (or two) and smearing it on toast for breakfast. Ah, no better way to begin the day than by clogging up my arteries!
I ended up getting the #11 the bacon banh mi ($2.55) and a durian smoothies ($3.25). Durian smoothies are just about the best thing in the world! (They come only second to avocado smoothies). I never understood why so many people dislike durian - its such a wonderful creamy, sweet fruit. And the smell? It's not that bad. But take durian blend it with milk, ice and a bit of sugar and voila, it's the ultimate durian dessert. The best part is when you get to the bottom and find bits of durian that haven't been completely blended in...oh..so ono!
I've never had a bacon banh mi before and thought I would give it a try. Eh. Mr. Baguette's sandwiches are just decent to begin with. The bread is usually too crispy and dry with no balance between the soft "innards" and the crust. They really skimp on the meat and refuse to put the pickled veggies, cilantro and chilis in the sandwich for you (see the plastic bag?). The bacon was hilarious. I wish I took a closer picture, but it was nothing like the American bacon we're used to seeing. It was bright pink and tasted like extremely salty char siu sliced thin. It didn't help that there was so much bread and hardly and meat or veggies. I think I will stick to the traditional combo banh mi of pate, vege ham and sausage.
Of all the wonderful banh mi shops in this area Mr. Baguette makes below average sandwiches but the excellent durian and avocado smoothies. I suppose what keeps people coming is the cleanliness of the shop, it is very well kept and has an almost sterile atmosphere. Orders are placed, then shown on the screen like McDonald's. When your order is ready a machine calls out your number in English and Vietnamese. You come to the counter and your order is handed over the counter. Very orderly! Kinda takes the fun and adventure out of your dining/take out experience, no? But no matter how much I complain, I know I'll be back the next time I'm craving a smoothie.
Mr. Baguette 8702 E Valley Blvd Rosemead, CA 91770 (626) 288-8733
No comments:
Post a Comment