Friday, September 30, 2005


Where would I be without Shravani? Lost. and Hungry. Who is Shravani? Quite possibly the most generous and sweet person in the entire universe. She was my closest friend at NYU and even though I'm no longer in nyc, I still consider her to be one of closest friends. She tolerated my mad obsessions with food, my random bakery hunts, my walls plastered with restaraunt reviews and rec, desktop images of macarons and mooncakes and frequent walks to Chinatown (just "to look"). So imagine how happy I was today, this random Friday afternoon to recieve a package in the mail from the one and only Shravani. I could barely contain my excitement, skipping back to my dorm (I probably looked like an idiot while doing so) and tearing open the package as soon as I got into my room.
HOLY MOLY! INDIAN SNACKS AND SWEETS! I'm in heaven. Sigh. :)
Shravani, you are too nice!
I'm about to attack everything now, but I'll try my best to resist the urge and explain what's inside this most fantastic care package ever.

From right to left: Khatta Meetha (a sweet and sour gram mixture), Masala Chickpeas /Channa (a super spicy fried chickpea snack) and Punjabi Mix (similar to the Khatta Meetha but more spicy)! I had an opportunity to try the Khatta Meetha last year. It's dangerously addicting. Crunchy, salty with just the right amount of spice, the mix includes the most genius blend of peanuts, green peas, riceflakes and a ton more other stuff I cannot define. Think of it a mochi crunch taken to the millionth degree! I'm excited to try the Punjabi mix, which Shravani suggested eating with rice and yogurt.
She also included a couple of indian sweets which top my list of cultural desserts. I fell in love with Kalakand last year, but since the sweet had to be refrigerated, it couldn't be mailed over. I suppose it could be crudely described as an Indian version of cheescake square, but MUCH better, a simply refreshing combination of boiled milk, ricotta, and pistachios. Shravani found a way around the refrigeration issue with a Kalakand Mix, which I will try and post about as soon as I can. She also included Sonpapdi, a "Pistachio Flavored Sweet Crispy Cake," a many layered, delicate treat. Mmm. Oh man. I'm in heaven.
Thank you Shravani!

No comments:

Post a Comment