Monday, May 16, 2005

What all chickpeas want to be when they grow up



Roasted. Yes, that's right. Roasted chickpeas. Who knew? Well, I read about this on Linda's blog quite a while ago, and filed it away in my mind as "well.. that's interesting. But as I generally can't stand chickpeas or beans, I doubt it."

Saturday night, Lena and Nico came over for dinner and to watch the hockey game. (Miserable - Sweden lost.) Perfect time to try it out - and besides, there were plenty of chips and carrot sticks in case the chickpeas were nasty. As I suspected.

But boy, was I wrong! These were great! Well, for chickpeas. They were a lot better than I would ever have expected, crunchy, tasty and very spicy. I changed things a little from Linda's version, so I'll reprint it here.

Roasted chickpeas

1 can of chickpeas (about 400 g)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
salt
cayenne pepper
cumin

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Heat the oven to 225 degrees C. Put the chickpeas on a baking sheet, and roast for 20 minutes. Shake them a little bit half way through.

Take them out and put into a bowl. Add the oil and the spices, as much as you want, and mix well. Turn the chickpeas back onto the baking sheet, and back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. They're done when they're bronzed and VERY crunchy. (Some came out a bit softer, and those were very much inferior.)

No comments:

Post a Comment