
Ok, you can all understand the last part of the title - pie. But what the heck is V�sterbotten? Well, the most common explanation is that it's a region of Sweden, located way up north. Homepage - here. Another answer, which is more relevant here, is that it's also the name of a cheese. It's a very strong and sharp cheese, and it has tiny holes in it. I can't really compare it to anything else, but use any similar hard, sharp cheese and I'm sure you'll end up with a delicious pie!
This recipe comes from Lena, who made it for us for Easter. It's absolutely wonderful, creamy and voluptous but with quite a bite. It's best served with a bleak roe sauce, which I sort of improvised when I made this dish for my parents a few weeks ago.

V�sterbotten Pie
1 unbaked pie shell (just use your favorite pie crust recipe. I used one which combined butter, flour, water and quark, to get a bit less fat.) No need to bake blind!
3 eggs
300 ml cream
200 g shredded V�sterbotten cheese, or any other sharp, tasty cheese
pinch of cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (about 350 F.) Whisk together the eggs, cream, cayenne and cheese, and fill the pie shell. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the filling is set, and lightly golden.
Serve with creme fraiche, finely minced red onions and bleak roe. Or make a sauce from bleak roe, creme fraiche or yogurt, finely minced onions, a pinch of sugar, salt, some dill and black pepper.
No comments:
Post a Comment