Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Vietnamese Rolls

I purchased sheets of rice paper from the Asian Supermarket a couple of months ago, but haven't had a chance to use them till today. I've always wanted to to try making Vietnamese dishes; especially these dainty little rolls filled with crunchy delightful vegetables and sweet prawns braised with chilli and coriander. The one time I've had these was about a year ago in Newtown, Sydney; at a friends birthday dinner. It was probably the only thing I remembered from the entire Vietnamese meal. The flavours were outstanding and no other cuisine I know has something similar. They turned out looking a little messy with leakages all over the place from my fiddly fingers and the prawns weren't too good as I used frozen ones; but I was satisfied nonetheless; overall I think the light and healthy meal was delicious!
2 cups medium sized prawns (I used frozen ones)
2 bunches coriander diced finely
1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 inch cube ginger sliced thinly

2 cloves garlic pound and diced
saute all ingredients in a shallow pan till prawns turn pink and sauce is thick. Start with oil, condiments, liquid sauces and lastly prawns and coriander. Reserve 2 tbsps of liquid for the dipping sauce.
5-6 sheets rice paper
Lebanese cucumber sliced thin
carrot sliced thin
1 red chilli sliced into long strips
Dunk the rice paper sheets into warm water for 30 seconds or less and remove briskly when pliable. Lay filling ingredients + prawns neatly in the center and fold in the left and right corners. Wrap up in a roll from the corner closest to you.
Sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
1 red chilli diced into rings
Stir in the reserved sauce from the prawns into all other ingredients. Microwave on high for 1 minute and serve as dipping sauce.This was what kept me busy the entire morning! Was for a friend visiting from Adelaide who requested for me to bake her something~ anything! haha It didn't take me too long...but made me a little late for the lunch appointment. They were white chocolate cupcakes with blueberries and a chocolate ganache topping. The centers were filled with oozzing chocolate. I will disclose my secret to these yummy delights in a couple of days when my parents and sister are visiting *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment